The success of major change depends a great deal upon those in charge of its implementation. Before you assign the responsibility of a major change initiative to anyone, assess your candidates against the following traits compiled by change management consulting experts to select the best of the pack.
The best change agents:
- Work toward results. They understand how they will be measured and strive to meet the specific goals of the change in a way that makes sense. They do not make excuses or play the victim.
- Know how to involve and inspire others to join the effort. They empathize with others, share information and care about both the process and the results in making change succeed.
- Demonstrate flexibility. They know there will be obstacles to overcome and are ready to adjust direction as necessary to keep moving forward – especially in the face of ambiguity.
- Recognize opportunities to grow. Ambitious and continuous learners, the best change agents welcome challenges to stretch.
- Make decisive decisions without fear. They work with their team but are not afraid to make the tough decisions leaders often have to make without having “all” of the information.
- Seek leadership roles. They want to make a difference and look for roles that give them the power and opportunity to do so.